An extra package of lady fingers sat inside my dishwasher (repurposed as a storage instead since I wash dishes by hand) and then a glance at the supermarket circular and I saw the heavy cream and ricotta cheese were on sale. Granted that the traditional way to make tiramisu (Italian for ‘pick-me-up) uses mascarpone cheese, you could still wing it with ricotta cheese, if not for a less caloric dessert. I also did not use any raw eggs in this dish (so even your preggie friends could enjoy this :P). Literally, you could whip this simple dessert up in a matter of ten minutes (minus the clean up). The deconstructed method is simple, but still offers the flavor of the tiramisu you order from a restaurant.
– a couple of lady fingers
– strong espresso (or coffee)
– 1 tsp of rum extract
– Cocoa powder
1) Whip heavy cream with hand mixer for 2 minutes. Add sugar, rum extract, and then blend in ricotta cheese. Set aside.
2) Soak lady fingers into espresso/coffee until slight moist or they would get too soggy.
3) Place lady fingers at the bottom of a glass or pan. Layer on the mixer. Then place more lady fingers on top. I used a wine glass as a one person portion dish. After another layer of cheese and cream, sprinkle some cocoa powder on top.
4) Place in the fridge for an hour and then enjoy~